Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dylan's Progress Report 3.25y.o.

1. Can correctly identify the following parts of the human anatomy: skull, clavicle, ribs, phalanges, metacarpals, pelvis, lungs, heart, intestines, brain, patella etc. Very interested on how the body works. (Funny: he calls the lungs, "lumps")

2. Knows useless details like:

  • Trees give off oxygen which we breathe
  • Heart has 4 valves and transports blood + oxygen.
  • Gravity makes things fall. Friction makes things stop.
  • Plants make food through photosynthesis.
  • Hemoglobin makes blood red.
  • Jupiter's Red Spot is a giant storm. Neptune similarly has a spot.

3. Gets creative with blocks. He's "built" cities, dinosaurs, giraffes, hippos, "color truck", tall towers..

4. Early stages of telling time (he can only say what hour it is). Frequently will ask what time it is and its scheduled activity (ex. It's 9pm, it's time to sleep).

5. Begun writing. Still colors pictures with mad scribbles and random hues.

6. Started school, hates school, cries himself to sleep during naptime and doesn't eat his lunch nor participate with gusto in activities except for those which involve the alphabet and/or numbers. Teacher says he is the only person in the class of ages 2-4 who knows his alphabets phonetically. Moreso, Dylan can read simple words to boot. He is so-called "way-advanced" in that area. HUH.

7. Startles me by dropping non-household words such as mucus and backbone. We only use words like snot.

8. Obsessed with complex words (i.e. words with sh,th,ch, silent "e" such as cute etc.)

9. Shown interest in math esp. addition

10. Obsessed with the UpsideDown Show and mimics Shane and David. Loves Meg and Mog stories.

11. On his second pair of orthopaedic shoes beginning August 2006.

12. Lies!! He doesn't own up but instead, accuses others of his bad actions!!

Others:
1. For his 3rd birthday, he wanted birthday party with a puppet show on the moon.
2. Me: "Are you my teddy bear?" his reply: "No, I'm too big."

3. Me: "2 + 2 equals?" (showing him two fingers on both hands and joining them together) Him: "W!"

4. One time I was cooking lunch and he was coloring with crayons. He kept bugging me by presenting and giving to me all of his new and unused crayons. He would have had to collect them carefully because his crayons were all jumbled in his crayon pail. I would get the crayons and dump them right back in. I told him I was busy and to please not bother me. He did it over and over until I was very frustrated and started yelling. It was only after a while when I realized he was giving me his best crayons so I'd want to color with him. Humbled, I joined him with great shame and guilt.

No comments: